Sunday, May 23, 2010

Animal Highway

The last couple days, I've been a busy girl. I've picked seashells, celebrated my birthday, and graduated. However, all of those experiences have been riddled with the same curse:

the animals-popping-out-of-nowhere-while-I'm-driving curse.

I don't care who you are, or where you drive, in the past week, I rest assured that you have not come across the amount of possible roadkill opportunities as I have. Yesterday, I swerved to miss a possum. Last night, I saw a skunk crawl across the road. The night before, deer. The list just goes on and on. And today was no different.

I was driving on 322 toward Ephrata and the driver in front of me hit his brakes and attempted to pull over onto the shoulder. I slammed on my brakes as he turned on his four-ways. I had no idea what he pulled over for, but then I see a small family of ducks crossing the road. The mommy duck hops over the curb and continues on her way, while the seven (yes, seven) ducklings are pummeling over each other trying to make themselves tall enough to climb the curb. The entire situation was ridiculous. And what happened to those ducklings? I know it's killing you, so I won't spare you the torture - all of them made it safe and sound.

Major highway +confused drivers +ducklings attempting to conquer their own Berlin Wall = priceless.

1 comment:

Teddi said...

I'm glad you're safe!!
P.S. I love the story about the kitten...