Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Batting 1,000

Today was a day like any other, 24 hours long, the sun shining, and the blustery wind to tell me that winter has indeed arrived on my campus. Other than the cold snap, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Minutes before my last class, I shuffled through the door and took my seat only to find that someone had switched my seat with one that wobbles. So now, during my professor's initial lecture, I am spotted fiddling with my planner to try and make some sort of wedge with a stack of paper. I don't know, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but then I just gave up. So, there I sat, defeated with my chair rocking back and forth with every breath I took.

To make matters worse, the kid sitting next to me decided to take out his textbook and use his thumb to every so carefully flip through the pages. That sound, although minimal, played over and over again, as if what he was really looking through was one of those rad comic flip-books. But no, it was just a textbook that he was doing this to - over and over and over. Flipping, flipping, flipping - it was enough to institutionalize me. I looked around, and no one else seemed distressed. A look of disbelief dripped over my face, and I was sure the professor knew I was anything but focused, but I didn't care. And yet, I didn't say anything. I just let it happen...for FIFTY minutes. By the time we were dismissed, I wanted to take that textbook and burn it, but I couldn't get over the fact that I said nothing. Why didn't I say anything? Would that have been rude? And if so, why couldn't I even look annoyed? After all, HE was the one inconveniencing ME, so I couldn't have been wrong. Right? Ugh, I don't even know any more. I just can't wait until next class - and YOU BET I'm changing seats.

1 comment:

N said...

Ahhh, yes. Institutionalization. I've thought it was long overdue.

:-)

Good to see you writing again.

The CAPTCHA test for this comment is "dupett". Just thought you should know.